The Household Simulation Model (HHSM); a DES model focusing on understanding household food waste.
We present the most developed application of household food waste DES to date: the new Household Simulation Model (HHSM), a DES model focusing on understanding household food waste. The HHSM provides the flexibility to model a range of food items and includes many household dynamics that can affect food waste (e.g. purchasing, storage, consumption). The HHSM simulates a range of household types to reflect the diversity of the UK population.
In this deposit we provide:
1) A version of the HHSM to be used with ARENA Simulation Software version 15.1 (.doe)
2) The siman code of the HHSM.
The methodology and further description of the model can be found in the document Cansu Kandemir, Christian Reynolds, Quested Tom, Karen Fisher, Rachel Devine, Estelle Herszenhorn, S.C. Lenny Koh & David Evans (2020) Using discrete event simulation to explore food wasted in the home, Journal of Simulation, DOI: 10.1080/17477778.2020.1829515
For further published reading on the HHSM see:
"Simulating Household Food Waste: A Research and Policy model" funded by the Economic & Social Research Council Impact Accelerator and WRAP
Linking sustainable food with food waste in policy; a NERC innovation placement in WRAP.
Natural Environment Research CouncilFind out more...
N8 AgriFood Resilience Programme (HEFCE Catalyst-funded)
- There is no personal data or any that requires ethical approval
- The data complies with the institution and funders' policies on access and sharing
Sharing and access restrictions
- The data can be shared openly
- The file formats are open or commonly used
Methodology, headings and units
- Headings and units are explained in the files