Fostering cultures of open qualitative research: Dataset 2 – Interview Transcripts
This dataset was created and deposited onto the University of Sheffield Online Research Data repository (ORDA) on 23-Jun-2023 by Dr. Matthew S. Hanchard, Research Associate at the University of Sheffield iHuman Institute.
The dataset forms part of three outputs from a project titled ‘Fostering cultures of open qualitative research’ which ran from January 2023 to June 2023:
· Fostering cultures of open qualitative research: Dataset 1 – Survey Responses
· Fostering cultures of open qualitative research: Dataset 2 – Interview Transcripts
· Fostering cultures of open qualitative research: Dataset 3 – Coding Book
The project was funded with £13,913.85 of Research England monies held internally by the University of Sheffield - as part of their ‘Enhancing Research Cultures’ scheme 2022-2023.
The dataset aligns with ethical approval granted by the University of Sheffield School of Sociological Studies Research Ethics Committee (ref: 051118) on 23-Jan-2021. This includes due concern for participant anonymity and data management.
ORDA has full permission to store this dataset and to make it open access for public re-use on the basis that no commercial gain will be made form reuse. It has been deposited under a CC-BY-NC license.
Overall, this dataset comprises:
· 15 x Interview transcripts - in .docx file format which can be opened with Microsoft Word, Google Doc, or an open-source equivalent.
All participants have read and approved their transcripts and have had an opportunity to retract details should they wish to do so.
Participants chose whether to be pseudonymised or named directly. The pseudonym can be used to identify individual participant responses in the qualitative coding held within the ‘Fostering cultures of open qualitative research: Dataset 3 – Coding Book’ files.
For recruitment, 14 x participants we selected based on their responses to the project survey., whilst one participant was recruited based on specific expertise.
· 1 x Participant sheet – in .csv format which may by opened with Microsoft Excel, Google Sheet, or an open-source equivalent.
The provides socio-demographic detail on each participant alongside their main field of research and career stage.
It includes a RespondentID field/column which can be used to connect interview participants with their responses to the survey questions in the accompanying ‘Fostering cultures of open qualitative research: Dataset 1 – Survey Responses’ files.
The project was undertaken by two staff:
Dr. Itzel San Roman Pineda
ORCiD ID: 0000-0002-3785-8057
Postdoctoral Research Assistant
Labelled as ‘Researcher 1’ throughout the dataset
Principal Investigator (corresponding dataset author):
Dr. Matthew Hanchard
ORCiD ID: 0000-0003-2460-8638
iHuman Institute, Social Research Institutes, Faculty of Social Science
Labelled as ‘Researcher 2’ throughout the dataset
Research England (internal award) 'Enhancing research cultures' 2022-2023 roundn
- The project has ethical approval and the number is included in the description field
- The data complies with the institution and funders' policies on access and sharing
Sharing and access restrictions
- The data can be shared openly
- The file formats are open or commonly used
Methodology, headings and units
- Headings and units are explained in the files
- There is a file including methodology, headings and units, such as a readme.txt